nursing home in lynchburgHeartland Health Care Center– A Skilled Nursing Home in Lynchburg, Virginia

Q:  What are some things to consider about skilled nursing services?

A: Medicare covers medically necessary services for skilled nursing and rehabilitative services after a minimum 3-day inpatient hospital stay. Medicare does not cover long-term, custodial care services or Hospice services within a skilled nursing facility.

When considering a skilled nursing facility, it is important to evaluate the type of benefits available under your current insurance plan as well. Medicare covers the first 20 days each benefit period at 100%. Days 21-100 is covered by Medicare at 80% with the remaining 20% co-insurance being paid either privately or by your Medicare supplemental insurance.

Some questions to consider are the following:

  • Q: What type of benefits are available day 1-20 under my current plan and what type of co-pay do you have under the plan?
  • Q: Does your insurance plan require pre-authorization before admission to skilled nursing? Many Medicare Replacement Plans require authorization.
  • Q: If you have a Medicare supplement, does it cover the co-insurance for days 21-100?
  • Q: If you don’t have a Medicare supplement plan, how do you plan to pay for the co-insurance portion of the 21-100 days?

Q:  What is the average age and length of stay in a Rehabilitation Program?
A: Length of stay can vary for patients depending on the extent of their illness or injury.  Many participants are able to complete their program in less than two weeks.

Q:  How do I select the best skilled nursing center for myself or someone else?
A: Ideally, the facility should feature registered nurses, therapists and specially trained staff who help patients feel at home. This would include nursing and rehabilitative staff that are trained in post-hospital stroke, heart and orthopedic care.

heartland health logo

Leave A Comment