Indianapolis, Indiana Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) Todd Howard with Howard Homes – a Keller Williams Agent
Q: What is my home worth?
A: Determining the value involves several steps but we can summarize the process with 3 simple steps: analyzing your home, comparing it to the local market and taking into account an aging parent’s special circumstances. Simply put, the value of your home is what someone will pay you for it today irrespective of the following factors: how much you paid for it, how much you owe on it, how much you need or want, what your neighbor (or another agent) says it’s worth………These factors might be important to you but they have no bearing on the value of your home. Call us for a free market value analysis.
Q: I haven’t hired a real estate agent in years – what do I look for in a good agent?
A: Not all agents are created equal. Here are some suggestions to help you pick the right one for you:
1. Select an agent with the right credentials. In your case that should be a SRES (Seniors Real Estate Specialist): This means they’ve completed training aimed at helping buyers and sellers in the 50-plus age range.
2. Work with a Realtor whenever possible: this means he’s a member of National Association of Realtors & formally pledges to support the code of ethics.
3. Talk with recent clients – Ask the agent to provide a list (with contact information) of what they’ve listed and sold over the last year (focus in on the list price compared to the sell price). Ask if these other properties are similar to yours in price, location and other salient features.
4. Look up their license for any infractions or disciplinary actions or check them out on the BBB.
5. Check out their history (not just their real estate history) – what did they do prior to selling real estate? Experience takes on many forms!
Q: My parents have lived in their home for 40 years! Getting it ready for market might be too much to handle. Can you help?
A: This process can be very stressful for seniors for many reasons but family can go a long way to alleviate some of the stress. If the family isn’t geographically close or other obstacles get in the way, we help the senior client by partnering with highly respected senior move companies. These companies work closely with us to develop a transition plan which typically includes: decluttering & moving, selling items of value or arranging for donations, making plans to move to their new community and much more. From our first consultation, until you’re resting peacefully in your new home, we take care of it all! Most importantly, we use our 25 + years of negotiating experience to make sure you get top dollar for your home!
Q: How much work do we need to do to get the home ready for market?
A: This answer is very unique to each client’s situation but generally speaking paint, carpet & decluttering can remove 90% of the issues. That said, if the home hasn’t been updated in years and there are many possessions, we might suggest a professional Senior Move company to work with us to achieve your goals.
TODD HOWARD, SRES® / Realtor® – As an SRES® designee, Todd has received extensive education on topics such as tax laws, probate, estate planning, equity conversion strategies, and can offer you relevant information on current market trends as well as valuable resources regarding real estate transactions.