8 Third Act Dream Jobs Ideal for Seniors
Only 52 percent of the oldest baby boomers are fully retired, a MetLife survey found. The remaining 48 percent work full time, part time or seasonally. If you’re ready for a career transition, these 8 “dream jobs for seniors” make ideal third acts for many seniors.
1. Consultant — After a long, satisfying career in a specific field, it can be rewarding for seniors to act as mentors to others in their areas of expertise. Seniors can find work consulting for those getting a new business or venture off the ground, or support existing ventures on an as-needed basis.
2. Tour guide — Local historical societies, attractions and museums need tour guides and volunteers with daytime availability. Approach local institutions to find out more information about volunteering or working as a tour guide.
3. Wedding planner — Age and experience give many seniors the patience, planning and vision to excel at helping folks young and old plan their weddings. Seniors can work on their own schedule, making this a perfect job for those dipping their toes back into work after scaling back from years of full-time employment. PennFoster.edu recommends becoming a certified wedding planner with the Association of Bridal Consultants to kick start this career.
4. National Park employee — During peak season, America’s National Parks boost their employment rosters, and many seniors can find fun and engaging work outdoors for part of the year. Since the NPS offers so many seasonal jobs, you’re likely to find some that utilize existing or specialized skill sets and others that don’t require any special training. As the Park Service Director told AARP, more than one-third of NPS workers are 50-plus. Often, the seasonal jobs come with accommodation.
5. Tutor — The flexible, daytime schedule of tutors is ideal for many seniors. Whether you’re helping college grads study for the LSAT, tutoring teens in academic subjects or helping with early literacy and ESOL programs, there are many ways to use your knowledge and expertise in service to others.
6. Peace Corps worker — The Peace Corps isn’t just for young folks. If you enjoy travel and want to do something meaningful and unusual in your third act, consider the Peace Corps. Your knowledge and expertise can make a big different with this organization. While you’ll earn a modest stipend, you’ll receive housing and medical care during your 2-year service.
7. Garden designer — If you’ve grown your own garden for years, taking landscape architecture classes and working as a garden designer can be incredibly fulfilling. Most states require licensure, including a degree. You can work for a landscape architect if you’re not sure you want to make the commitment to school.
8. Blogger — While the majority of those who monetize their blogs earn $100 or less a month, blogging revenue can be a way to earn extra cash to pay for expenses and travel. With a reliable Internet connection, a computer, and passion about something specialized, anyone can blog. Affiliate programs from Amazon, Google and others allow bloggers to monetize their passions.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments!
Career Counselor, Writer, Foodie